I hate sexism. Let me fill you in on this...
I have found that it is really getting in my way when it comes to getting to know women better, and to have them as good close friends.
(Before shallow people get into the gutter frame of mind, I am simply talking about having great people appreciate me for my qualities, instead of writing me off because I am a male-type human being.)
Yup, I have discovered that there are a few really smart, really neat women who I like and am fascinated by, who really can't notice how much I care about them, because their experiences with men previous to me has undermined their faith in the other gender's ability to think about them.
Pisses me off. The next time a guy starts in with that s---, I will have to straighten him out. For example, how would he like someone to discount his mother's or sister's potential because of their 'nice tits'? Or even their daughter's.... ....
I was so surprised (and upset, to be honest) to find that a long-time friend was not able to recognize, despite over ten years' worth of decent input, that I am harmless and without malice. Because I am a man. (I couldn't believe it! Kind of stopped me in my tracks and looked at things from a woman's point of view around sexism... well, as best as I ever could.)
I have known for a long time (thanks to my mother, a dark woman from South Africa, a very intense lady) that men weren't always very considerate of their womenfolk. Probably not much in that country, actually. (Ah, the tales a South African lady can tell her son...) At an early age I have tried to be as thoughtful as possible around all sorts of poor behaviour a man can exercise... I have not, nor likely will ever be, a saint, but I try to be considerate, and interrupt as much poorly thought out behaviour as I could, both of mine, and others.
Guys, do not fall into this trap that is so well laid out for us. In order to be truly with women we would really rather be around (other than pink powder puffs with no backbone, who have been overwhelmed by the messages originating in sexism, that are so easy to see around us all, all the time) you'll... ahem, WE'll have to work on this.
Or be fated to never really get to know our loved ones.
Are you 'in'... or 'in the way'?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment