I have a photo album (paper of course, Luddite I am,) of my bike clubs, and on the back cover, I have a displayed a list of leadership qualities. They're very inspiring.
Somehow in my life I seem to have picked up a certain strong moral compass. This has lead me to adopt a few policies; one in particular is that the Older should be more mindful of the Younger. (I'm thinking that I got this somehow through whatever residual African cultural input my parents had, especially Dad.) One way that Olders can do this is by role-modeling the kind of behaviour that the world needs to see in order to make this the best place for every organism upon it; after all, actions speak louder than words, and the Youngers are definitely looking to their Olders for example.
"Make the World the best place for every organism upon it." Big goal! Probably won't happen too soon eh? But me, I'd rather help bail out the boat than punch more holes in the hull, if you get what I mean.
Here's the list, adapted by me (just a touch!) to more accurately reflect my particular perspective. I think that if enough Olders can manifest these in their lives that the Youngers can observe, it would be a good and species-advancing thing. I got the original version through a coaching course I took a while ago.
List of Leadership Skills
1. life-long learning - the desire to continue learning throughout life
2. emotional intelligence -a term that encompasses soft skills, focusing on communication and interpersonal skills
3. upward internal drive - the desire to keep excelling and learning
4. high energy level
5. self-awareness
6. self regulation
7. motivation
8. empathy
9. curiousity
10. commitment
11. ability to see the bigger picture
12. ability to learn from one's mistakes
13. leveraging others to work to their highest potential
14. looking at various solutions to a problem
15. working towards a larger vision based on shared values and goals
16. social skills
17. ability to take oneself out of comfort zones
18. honest self-assessor
19. ability ask for help
20. good listener
21. the ability to challenge the process
22. inspires a shared vision
23. enables others to act
24. integrity, walks their talk.
What a list! As I look over it, I am glad to see quite a few places where I'm doing great! but of course, I'm not pleased to settle for where I am right now.
That's it for now. Talk these amongst yourselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment