As a younger man, I considered myself a punk rocker.
Obviously not of it's first generation; I am not THAT old! lol
So, thanks to the people role-modeling it for me (you know who you are, people!) punk rock is ultimately tied to wide-world changing. At least in my head.
Check the lyrics of the songs, which we all knew SO well; 'Maggie', The Exploited. 'California Uber Alles', Dead Kennedys. (hell, almost effectively anything with/by Jello Biafra, see also the band named 'Lard', and his spoken word stuff.) Henry Rollins, especially his spoken word stuff, 'Institutionalized', Suicidal Tendencies. Crass. The Varukers. And more I can't think of just this minute. (Stay tuned, I might yet post a list of songs whose lyrics point out where the world is not what a young person would be pleased to settle for. Such as 'Birth, School, Work, Death', by I don't remember whom.) The dissatisfaction with the current state of the world was well expressed in these lyrics. As well as a fire that, at least for me, keeps at bay the crushing effects of the meek-ening world around me. Kind of hopeful, in all the rage.
(Never mind that the songs had kind of a funky beat, that I could really bug out to...)
So when I see this MOVEMENT of dissatisfied young people co-opted by the dominant society (check out all the faux-hawks these days, one inch high, but 5 inches wide and kind of shoved towards the middle for a pointyness 'similar' to a mo-hawk,) I gotta chuckle. See also how tattoos and that whole thing has evolved from a real 'pariah' status to where even grandmothers get them (in tastefully discreet locations upon their bodies; after all, it's 'still' a tattoo!)
All is well; people just don't wish to be regarded as non-unique, much as they feel uncomfortable standing out. But they choose what's 'alternative' en masse, and then the alternative becomes the norm, thus leading to the evolution of what it means to stay fresh and creative and truly alive in this world. Leading to some verry interesting manifestations. (See also, genital piercing... yowch!)
KNOW THIS! Don't give up my fellows! Make unconventional decisions for all your life, and be ready to adapt as little as you need to to accomodate what awaits. This is your journey, make it a good, fun, and rewarding one. You don't need to give up. Stay smart!
And do your very own thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment